Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Freddy...

I've been reading more Frederick Buechner lately. I must say, that in spite of his crassness, sometimes even because of it, I really enjoy reading his stuff. Lately its been the Book of Bebb... now there is a character for the ages! Most recently its a little collection of his shorter stuff called "The Clown in the Belfry" which is basically about faith and fiction.

One paragraph in particular really struck me with the idea of 'story'. He suggests that the reasons the parables of Jesus are so poignant is that they are our stories too. At any given reading we can relate to any of the characters within those stories. Sometimes we're the prodigal, sometimes, the father, sometimes the older brother, sometimes even the pigs. He thinks we over annalyze them and tear the beauty out by ignoring that sometimes Jesus just told the story and let it speak for itself.

I know this is not about The Shack, but its where I'm at today, what I'm thinking about.

He also says, "if today is the first day of the rest of our life, we are also at the end of the last stage of our life". What must I put away in order to move on with the rest of my life?

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

Really great thoughts.
What do I have to put away.
food for the soul.
Thanks honey