Friday, March 02, 2012

Friday's ideas- think about birth order

Dr Kevin Leman has done a lot of research and writing on the topic of birth order. I read through his book on step families and how the blending of families affects children thrust into new places in the family. It was very thought provoking and disturbing at the same time.

With birth order comes responsibilities, expectations, different interactions with siblings, and, for only children increased interaction with adults. All these things are important to the way our personalities and character develops. How about today we do a little research on the role our children play within our family. Here are a few links. If you'd like to read the Dr Leman book I was referring to, Living in a Step-Family without getting Stepped On, let me know in the comments and I will send it to you, all I ask is that you mention on your blog (if you've gots one!) that I'm giving books away here.

Here are a few links to follow yourself if you want to see what's up in your family's mix of children (or even to get some insight into your own personality).

Informative newsletter from University of West Virginia
Dr Diana Walcutt from Psychcentral.com
Education.com
Parenthood.com

Also, join A to Z, 29 days left to go.
Read about my free book giveaway...here.
Sign into Dads UnLimited Community...here.

Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

moondustwriter said...

Hi Ron
looking forward to reading you and other A to Z bloggers in April

Shannon Lawrence said...

I've always found research on birth order very interesting. I'm the oldest of five, and I tend to be pretty textbook, but there are circumstances within our family, including a large gap, that I think changed the birth order for a couple of my siblings. Fascinating stuff!

Shannon at The Warrior Muse, co-host of the 2012 #atozchallenge! Twitter: @AprilA2Z