Monday, March 19, 2012

Family traits...do we have 'em?


We all know that our kids look like us. Yesterday, someone was telling me that they had a relative with adopted kids who looked more and more like their parents as they grew older. That was interesting to me, but upon further reflection, it likely shouldn’t.

Beyond our physical family traits, we also develop other unique identifiers together. Any one of them is unremarkable on its own (unless you are the Von Trapp’s, say) but together they make your family who it is. It could be interests, it could be personality. It could be gestures, jokes or expressions. It may be mannerisms or points of view. Whatever it is, you can be a family in many more ways than just genetics. Its one of the things we enjoy about being foster parents. We can make room in our family for someone else. They add to us, as we add to them.

Do you have any examples of how your family looks unique beyond the uni-brow or Roman nose?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, we speak Eastonese!
Ma&Pa E.

D.E. Malone said...

*My two boys walk in the exact same manner as my husband. People remark about it all the time.

Misha Gerrick said...

I guess we share mannerisms and senses of humor. :-)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Ron .. yes I look like my mother - and my brothers have some traits like my father .. and one of them said something years ago - in the same manner and tone and verbage my father would have used .. it was fairly uncanny!

Cheers - we're all chips of the old blocks ... HIlary