Monday, January 30, 2012

Seven Dads I’d like to meet


Several days ago, Arlee Bird at Tossing it Out passed along an idea to write about seven people from the past that you would like to meet and why. 
Abraham How could you be so sold out for your God, that you would risk your son for Him?  Where does that faith come from that lets you say, “We will return”? What was that wait like?
Charles Dickens You cared so much for the poor children of the day, how were your children treated?  I hear that home wasn’t so good.  How did you wrestle through that?
Bill Cosby You wrote the book on Fatherhood.  Did you ever wonder about what people would think of you as a dad?  You lost your son in a tragic situation.  How did you keep going?
Ike Everley You played with, maybe even taught Chet Atkins on the guitar.  You raised two lads who became the Everley Brothers, and years later, fame and fortune never broke that unity apart.  How did that happen?  Could the same thing have happened in today’s culture?


Henry Fonda You raised three kids in the spotlight, you always struggled with living who you thought you were supposed to be in a culture and atmosphere that allowed you to behave differently.  You struggled with showing love toward your children, and yet late in life, you discovered how to reach out to them. 
Archie Manning This may be a theme here, but how do you pass on a love for something you were obviously good at to your boys?  How do you cheer when they compete against each other?  What’s the mental part of the game that you taught them?
Ken Griffey Sr. You and Archie Manning are a lot alike.  You both had really good careers as professional athletes, and now you’re better known for who your children are.  What was it like running out on the field with Junior that first time?  I always thought that was so cool, father and son on the same team.

Obviously there are lots of other interesting dads out there.  Who would be on your list?  Can you let me know in comments if you decide to use this topic please?

11 comments:

Will said...

Can you imagine being famous for being someone's dad? It would really test your mettle if your kid excelled your own field. Seperating the men from the boys in many ways!
Bill Cosby did go on, but as a verry different man. Similar message, but a very different attitude towards it. I wish the media had followed his activities more than they have; I'm thinking of the speaking engagements, not in a paparazi sort of way.

D.E. Malone said...

Just stopping by to say 'hi'. New follower, thanks to A to Z'. Looking forward to more posts!

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

There is one dad I would love to meet and that is my own. You see he passed away when I was three years of age and always wondered what he was like,.

Good subject and very interesting to read.

Yvonne.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I'm a teacher and I wish all fathers knew how important they are to their children.
My husband coached all his sons and they love him for it. They were great days with their teammates spending lots of time at our house.

Arlee Bird said...

I like this approach. King David would be a cool father to meet. And Adam and Noah. So many Biblical fathers.
I really like how you're handling this new blogging approach.


Lee
Tossing It Out

Anonymous said...

I was reading about Abraham lately and was struck by how sinful he was, he lied over and over again and had no faith and ended up with feuding children, yet he is remembered for one of the greatest acts of faith. I don't know a lot of the others on your list and can't even think of who some of their famous children might have been but I think I always thought of KG Sr. as more famous than Jr. but I never knew that Manning Sr. had been a player. Just my thoughts,
B

Tonja said...

Great idea for a blog. :)

Susan Oloier said...

What a great question to consider. I'll have to think about it longer. I think dads are more important in their children's lives than many realize.

susan said...

Nice idea - as the mother of a man who is bringing up his son as the main carer I would like to find inspiring Dads for him to meet. The problem of choosing people in the limelight is really knowing the reality of the situation isn't it?

Ron Easton for Dads UnLimited said...

Will: I haven't actually paid too much attention to Cosby in the past five to ten years, so I am now curious to hear him out again. And I think most dads would just cheer their kids on if they made themselves famous...for something good...
Dawn:Thanks for stopping by! Hurry back.
Yvonne: I always think that is a sad thing to hear, that someone doesn't know their own parent. I know its all a part of who you are today though. I guess that's the good inside the sadness
Susan: I am a trained teacher too, and I always wished more dads were more involved. I know work was a tough balancing act, but I often had children who's dad I only met on graduation day, if then.
Arlee: Thanks again for your encouragement, and for the inspiration to try this post...even if you stole it from someone else first!
B: I know in our house, KG Sr was more famous...now though, in the wider world, I think Jr has passed his dad. :) As far as Abraham goes, I think all the faults are an encouragement to me!
Tonja: Thanks for the encouragement!
Susan: So...have your considered? And, speaking from a highly biased opinion, I agree that dads are very highly underrated and needed.
Susan: One of my purposes for focusing this blog on "Daddy issues" is to encourage dads. I've started a message board that hopefully will one day grow into a little community of dads helping each other out.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Ron .. this is one of those posts - I needed to think about and still do! I'd love to meet my father again .. and learn more, my uncles too - and my grandfathers, and great grandfathers .. so much history entwined ...

I'd have loved to be around Leonardo, Robert Hooke, Fibonacci .. don't think I would have understood - but perhaps I might ... then the Earl of Bute/s - and other polymaths ..

Too many ... but I'd have loved to have had more interaction with my father - not having children I can't pass on and recover those omissions at a different stage of life ...

Cheers for now - loved your ideas and the post - Hilary