Thursday, February 14, 2008

LOST

I've just sat through yet another amazing episode of LOST. TV can't get any better than this. If you haven't watched the show, turn away now, this is bound to become the babbling of a rabid man.

I've only ever really been addicted to tv once, I think. Back about ten years ago, Jimmy Smits character was slowly dying of cancer on NYPD Blue, for about a month, I couldn't miss it, had to know how things would turn out.

LOST is a totally different thing though. The characters are great. I find the back history of them to be as interesting as the events playing out on the desert island. But that's not all. Character driven literature and movies and apparently tv are the most intriguing type to me. The characters here might just do it on their own. But its not what keeps me coming back. The layers and the themes and the double crossing and the mysteries and the new characters with new information all add up to an awesome combination.

Most important to me though is the spirituality. Man of Science, Man of Faith was the name of an episode in the second season I believe. It pitted Jack Shepherd (his dad is named Christian Shepherd, no "hidden" meaning there) a doctor forced to be the leader after the crash of Oceanic flight 815, against John Locke (originally a British philospher/political thinker) a former box company employee who was in a wheelchair before the plane crashed. He believes that the island has healed him of his paralysis. Jack believes nothing of the sort, though Locke tells no one of his wheelchair past besides Walt a 10 year old boy... come to think of it, why don't people remember that he was in a wheelchair before the plane crashed... hmmm... Now in the fourth season, John and Jack (same name, could this come into play later???) are still facing off. One wants off the island, Jack, and the other feels he must stay, Locke.

Locke shows the zeal of many spiritual people by being willing to do nearly anything, even murder to keep his island "as is". He knows that something special is happening, though no one seems to know everything, no one we've met anyway.

This season we've met at least one guy named Abbadon, a name often referring to Satan, the word itself meaning "deceiver".
Redemption is a very important part of this show, thinking specifically of Charlie's death last season, but seen also over and over with many characters. The notion of a "list" keeps coming up, that some people are chosen and some are not, that some are good and others are corrupted... all these things and many other small moments add up to a thought provoking, fun, engaging television show.

It's not for the faint of heart. There are lives lost, people live very human existences, experience all the good and bad that humans do. Then again, you get to enjoy Sawyer's nicknames and Hurleys humour.

Anyway, I thought I needed to post why I'm "obsessed" with LOST. There is more, its late, but I have to get it out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you like it, I tried to watch the catchup show to see what all the hype was about and it sure didn't hook me. ah well.
Bee

Sabrina said...

Hmm, that's a great idea to watch the show with all of that in mind!
but really you would think that on the show last night Sawyer would have at the very least come up with some sor tof Valentine for Kate.. I mean Jack brought up the Red Sox!

Join Us For Breakfast said...

Haven't seen it but I have wondered what was so good about it that you were so into it. What season is this?

Ron Easton for Dads UnLimited said...

This is number 4... I have seasons 1-3 on DVD if you want to review them... :)

Anonymous said...

perhaps some time I would :)
Patti